Monday, June 21, 2010

Going International

So I've heard from a few folks who asked me to include some reports on private prisons in other countries (other than the US, that is).  My first entry in Why I Hate CCA's new International series is a story that describes the "shameful" treatment of youth at a juvenile facility run by the SERCO Corporation in England.  The case involves a "cataglouge of safeguarding failures," sexual activity between children, and the failure of multiple government agencies to heed repeated requests for investigation into the numerous instances that took place at the facility.  So for all those who want America to follow in the example of some European countries, I say to be wary at least of modelling our juvenile facilities after this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment